Serious Beer Level 2
Thank you for your interest however our class is now sold out.
If you would like to be added to a wait list, please simply email us at with your name, telephone number and number of participants.
During this 10 week program (+exam), ancient beer styles from the old world and emerging styles from the rest of the world will be examined. The history, ingredients, brewing techniques and - most importantly - the taste of each style will be discussed. Students will formulate a recipe to be brewed and assessed. Draft systems will be examined and assembled. Students will work with PICA culinary students to create and prepare a beer pairing menu.
Individuals registering for this program should have completed Serious Beer Level 1, or have extensive industry experience.
Please note that Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts is an independent training entity and this training has not been created, reviewed, or approved by the Cicerone® Certification Program.
Fall 2015 Dates (Mondays):
September 14, 21, 28
October 5, 19, 26
November 2, 9, 16, 23
Optional: The Cicerone Exam will be held at Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts on November 28, Saturday, during the day. Should you wish to register and sit the exam, you must do so directly on the Cicerone website.
Time: 6:30 PM to 9:30 PM
Tuition Cost: $750.00 + GST
Equipment: 6 ISO Glasses with tote $45 + GST/PST
Instructor: Chester Carey, a graduate of our Culinary Arts 2005 program. Chester holds an ISG Certificate, is a Certified rank BJCP Judge, and a Certified Cicerone®.
- Detailed Overview of brewing process.
- Recipe formulation.
- Ancient styles of beer and their ingredients.
- Serious Beer students will come up with a beer recipe for next class.
- Detailed overview of food pairing.
- Beer is paired with cheese an desserts.
- Beer students are split into three groups and paired with PICA Culinary Arts students. Together, they will create their menus.
- Brewing will take place in culinary kitchen at PICA, where the beer students maintain their grouping.
- Emerging Beer Regions are discussed: Italy, Japan, Northern Europe, and Australia/New Zealand.
- Draft systems are discussed in detail, with demonstrations and the appropriate math/calculations.
- In the culinary kitchen at PICA, the beer pairing menu is executed with the assistance and guidance of PICA Culinary Arts students.
- New styles of beer and trends are covered.
- Advanced off flavours and blind tastings are gone over.
- Final review takes place.
- Cicerone® Examination (optional)