1-Year Culinary/Baking & Pastry Arts
1 year, Full-Time Dual-Diploma Program (5+ days per week / 7+ hours per day)
- Quarterly intakes (AM and PM schedules)
- Maximum Student to Chef Instructor ratio: Culinary Arts 15:1 and Baking & Pastry Arts 12:1
- 1,795 hours; 90% hands-on
- Lifetime Employment Placement Assistance
At Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts we are passionate about providing expertly trained graduates for the rapidly growing food and hospitality industry worldwide. Along with small class sizes, dedicated Chef Instructors, 90% hands-on professional training and our eight professional kitchens with Lifetime Employment Placement Assistance, you have the right ingredients for a delicious career.
Twelve months in our unique ‘Dual-Diploma’ professional training program offers you the opportunity to harness the fundamentals skill sets in both Culinary and Baking & Pastry Arts.
To stay competitive lifelong as a professional it’s important to learn and develop a variety of skills to set you a part from the rest of the competition. Our ‘Dual-Diploma’ program will offers you the opportunity to learn two unique disciplines within twelve months to better round out your knowledge and skills as a professional for the hospitality food service industry.
In each discipline of training you will start your training with the basics.
You begin with knife skills, culinary terms and equipment usage, followed by flavorful stocks, the art of the saucier, meats, poultry, fish, shellfish, vegetables, pastry and bread making – in a practical format that allows you to assess your creations using all your senses. Appreciate the difference an aromatic stock makes in risotto and taste a perfectly reduced port sauce for lamb.
Baking & Pastry Arts:
You begin with measuring and scaling, terminology, artisan breads, pastry dough and batters, dessert sauces, fillings, chocolate, sugar and a variety classic, modern and holiday pastries. Create intricate garnishes and learn professional plating secrets – in a practical format that allows you to practice and advance your techniques.
Our advanced instruction covers the entire culinary brigade as well as baking and pastry operations with a practical repertoire of time tested recipes, advanced and incorporated into our gourmet restaurant – Bistro 101, bakeshop – Bakery 101, and catering division built to hone real-world skills that will have you cooking, baking and creating pastries as a professional.
Enhancing our students’ knowledge we include: Foundation Level Wine Certification through the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) and Food & Beverage Operations Management covering effective menu planning, inventory control, costing and various food operations. These courses provide students with an in-depth knowledge of hospitality operations beyond the kitchens doors ensuring students gain a more well-rounded education.
- Food Safe Certification
- Hygiene, Sanitation, Safety
- Knife Skills
- Sustainable Kitchen Operations
- Nutrition & Special Diets
- Hospitality Industry
- Stocks, Soups, Sauces
- Moist Heat, Dry Heat Cooking Methods
- Grains, Starches, Vegetables
- Cheese Training
- Garde Manger
- Meat, Poultry, Fish, Shellfish
- World Cuisines (Italy, France, Asian, Indian)
- Plating Techniques & Plate Presentation
- Food & Beverage Operation Management
- Foundation Level Wine Certification (WSET)
- History & Science
- Weights, Measures, Scaling & Conversions
- Basic, Artisan & Ethnic Bread Making
- Practical Baking Techniques
- Pastry Dough, Sauces & Fillings
- Cream, Custards & Icing
- Frozen Desserts
- Pies, Fruit Flans & Tarts
- Specialty Cakes, Gateaux & Torte
- Chocolate & Sugar Work
- Seasonal Events & Product
- Nutrition & Dietary Sensitivities